The Indiana University Information Environment (IUIE) is a data repository that includes records of all IU's financial data. The financial data set can be queried through both structured and unstructured search forms. Access to the financial reports in IUIE is provisioned at the same time as KFS access. Alternatively, you may request IUIE access by clicking the Register tab at the top left corner of the IUIE Welcome page.
If you have questions about a particular financial report, please contact FMS Customer Support for assistance.
If you have issues with the IUIE environment, please contact your departmental IT staff or contact UITS for support.
Basics of IUIE Financial Reports
There are three main types of queries in IUIE: Predefined queries, data groups, and linked reports. You can identify the report type by the leading icon in the name of the report in the file structure within IUIE.:
- Predefined Query ( ): This type of a report was created to access specific types of data that is commonly accessed. Your search fields are typically reduced and the fields in the results are predefined. Starting with these types of reports will often get you to some commonly requested information most quickly. The downside is that you have limited search capabilities and the result fields are limited.
- Data Groups ( ): This type of query is highly customizable. Typically, these reports have many search fields, and you can choose the data fields that are returned. Thus, the benefit of this report type is that you have more flexibility in selecting the data set, and you can filter the output within the rendered Excel file.
- Linked Reports ( ): These are listing within the IUIE that link to an external website where the reports can be run. These reports still access information from the general ledger but are hosted outside of the IUIE. These are provided for convenience of access
Many of the fields in the IUIE will accept wildcards. UITS maintains a list of wildcards that you can use and how they work. Not all fields accept wildcards. Each field that accepts wildcards will have a link to the right "Wildcards Allowed."
Some fields will allow only specific values. These fields will have a "Valid Values" button to the right. Clicking this button will display the allowed values for that field and will allow you to select from that list. Clicking the "Return Values" button will bring your selection(s) into the appropriate field of your query.
Results of IUIE Financial Reports
The output format options vary for each report, but usually involve one or more of the following:
- HTML: Returns results directly in your web browser. It is best used when making quick reference, or when sorting or reformatting the data is not necessary.
- XLS: Returns results in MS Excel, which is optimal for sorting and reformatting the data. UITS IT Training offers a class on Excel spreadsheets with IUIE report data.
- RTF: Returns the data as rich text, readable by many common text editors including the default editor that comes with Microsoft Windows operating system and Mac operating system as well as many more text editors. This format does allow limited reformatting by the user.
In addition to file type, the IUIE gives you options on how you want the reports delivered to you. You can wait, have it sent to your completed folder, or it can be pushed to another IU email address.
- Wait: If you choose wait, the IUIE will attempt to run the report and return a downloadable file within the browser. This option would be appropriate if you expect a small data set to be returned.
- Send to Completed Reports: This will send the report output to your Completed Reports folder and send you an email notification when the report is available. You can access the report from the Completed Reports folder of your My Catalog page, or click the link provided in the email notification. These reports will be available to review until you delete them from the folder.
- Push To: This allows you to send the completed report to other IUIE users. A link to the completed report will be emailed to any users in the Push To field, as well as the report initiator.
Commonly Used Financial Reports
There are many reports to choose from in the IUIE and knowing which one to use to get the information you need can be daunting when you are first learning the IUIE. Below are some reports the FMS supports that will get you started in the IUIE:
- Current Balances Report (Kuali Financial -> General Ledger -> Current Balances): This report will return results similar to the Available Balances query in the KFS. This will return adjusted base budget, current budget, actuals, encumbrances, and variance on all object codes with activity in the fiscal year(s) you selected.
- Detail Transactions: (Kuali Financial -> General Ledger -> Datagroups -> Detail Trasnactions): This report will return results similar to the General Ledger Entry query in the KFS. This will return general ledger entries based on the search criteria entered.
- Monthly Operating Statements: (Kuali Financial -> Financial Account view): This report will return a preformatted statement of the account(s) it is run against. This is useful for looking at a statement of your accounts at a particular point in time. These reports do not update over time; they are a static picture of the account(s) at the end of each fiscal period. If you have questions interpreting your MOS, please reference the MOS user guide to understand the information presented.
There are many more financial reports available in the IUIE. Some are restricted to specific permission levels. If there is a report that you need and cannot access, contact your department fiscal staff for assistance on either running the report or gaining access so that you can run the report.
Standard Monthly Reports
You can access your account's standard monthly reports, including the Monthly Operating Statement, Transaction Listing, and Labor Detail through the IUIE. In the Master Catalog, click on the Kuali Financial folder and select the Financial Account View report. Within the report is a link where you can gather all your reports with a single search.
Additionally, on the first of every month, the system automatically generates and emails notifications to relevant parties that their standard monthly reports are available for viewing. The is completely automated and cannot be opted out of. The system will send a report to you if you are an account's fiscal officer, manager, supervisor, or delegate.