International Year-End Reporting

Filing a Tax Return

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) requires that individuals with US-sourced income file an annual tax return to ensure that the correct amount of taxes have been remitted on behalf of the individual. A tax return is simply a reconciling report with the IRS between taxes withheld and taxes owed. Individuals who file their tax return may owe more taxes or may receive a tax refund based on the return. Tax forms are sent by entities issuing payments and are to be used to complete the tax return.

Tax forms issued by Indiana University include the following:

  1. Form W-2: Issued to employees and includes withholding taxes and wages paid by Indiana University
  2. Form 1042-S: Issued to non-resident alien employees, students and vendors to report taxable income and taxes withheld on 1042 income for wages, scholarships, royalties and self-employment. If tax treaty benefits apply, amounts on reported on this form.
  3. Form 1098-T: Applicable to resident aliens only. This form reports qualified educational expenses and scholarships to determine if taxpayer is eligible for certain educational tax credits.

Due date for tax returns is generally April 15th, of the following year. Failure to file could jeopardize a visitor’s visa status and could also result in fines and penalties.

Which Forms Will I Receive?

See Form Flowchart.

Tax Resources:

See 2017 International Tax Timeline Flyer (2 pages)