Applying for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)


The ITIN (Individual Tax Identification Number) is a 9-digit number issued by the IRS to individuals that have an income tax filing requirement but who are not eligible to receive a Social Security Number (SSN). I


All ITINs not used on a federal tax return, at least once in the last three years, will expire on December 31, 2018. Additionally, all ITINs issued before 2013 with middle digits of 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 81, or 82 (Example: (9XX-73-XXXX) will also expire at the end of the year.  As a reminder, ITINs with middle digits 70, 71, 72, 78, 79 or 80 that expired in 2016 & 2017 can also be renewed


Attention Non-Students:

Due to the IRS processing time for an ITIN, it is possible that the ITIN may not be received before Indiana University has to file the annual tax return. Therefore, Indiana University will not process ITIN applications after November 1st for the current calendar year. If an ITIN application has been submitted prior to November 1st, and the ITIN is either not issued by the end of the current calendar year, or is rejected, University Tax Services will gross up the payment charging the tax liability to the department account.


Treaty benefits for honorarium payments will not be granted after December 1st of the current calendar year due to the possibility of rejection of the IRS form 8233.


Assistance with Application

IU is authorized to perform the function of a Certifying Acceptance Agent by the Internal Revenue Service. The Bloomington, Indianapolis, and South Bend campuses can assist eligible individuals in applying for, obtaining or renewing an ITIN at no cost to the applicant. To be eligible for this service you must be an:

  • Individual temporarily in the U.S. receiving payment of an honoraria, or other compensation for service, when the individual will claim the benefits of a tax treaty between the U.S. and the tax resident country AND the individual is not eligible for an SSN
  • Individual temporarily in the U.S. with a primary purpose of studying, teaching, or performing research for which the individual is receiving a scholarship or grant, AND the individual will not be receiving any type of compensation for services during their stay in the U.S

If you are eligible for an ITIN based on the criteria described above, choose your campus and follow the online procedures:.

Campus Contact Information Online Procedure
Bloomington University Tax Services
400 E. 7th St.
Poplars Building Room 527
Bloomington, IN 47405 
Phone: (812) 855-0375
Fax: (812) 856-4861
Documents Required
Frequently Asked Questions
 Indianapolis Office of International Affairs
902 W. New York St., ES 2126
Indianapolis, IN 46202
Phone: (317) 274-7000
Fax: (317) 278-2213
Documents Required
Frequently Asked Questions
 South Bend Office of International Student Services
Administration Building A166X
1700 Mishawaka Avenue
P.O. Box 7111
South Bend, IN 46634-7111
Phone: (574)520-4419
Fax: (574)520-4590
Documents Required
Frequently Asked Questions
Not available on campus
Internal Revenue Service
Phone: (800) 829-1040
Understanding your ITIN - IRS Pub. 1915