Frequently Asked Questions - General Tax

Please click on the appropriate question listed below of general frequently asked tax questions.


Do I Need to File a Tax Return?

The question of "Do I Need to File a Tax Return" is often posed to University Tax Services. Typically, if a tax form (W-2, 1098-T, 1042-S or 1099-MISC) is issued to you by Indiana University, a return may need to be filed. The IRS has a tool that can also assist with answering this question. To use the IRS tool, please visit Do I Need to File a Tax Return? on the IRS webpage.

How Do I ask a Question to University Tax Services?

To ask a general question about tax to University Tax Services, please email While University Tax Services is not able to offer personal tax advice, we can assist with IU-generated form questions.