Benefit Forms

If you have any questions about loan benefits, please contact our office by telephone at 866-485-6267 (866-IU Loans) before downloading and filling out any of the forms.


Deferments for Perkins/NDSL Loans:

The Department of Education requires a specific deferment form for each type of benefit.  Please choose the form that matches your status.  Refer to the form for details regarding eligibility.


In-School Deferment (You are enrolled in school at least half time.)

Military Service Deferment (Your service is in connection with a war, military operation or national emergency.)

Rehabilitation Training Deferment

Fellowship Deferment (You are participating in a Graduate Fellowship program full time.)

Unemployment Deferment (You are seeking but unable to find full time employment.)

Economic Hardship Deferment (You receive payments from a federal or state, public assistance program OR your monthly income is less than 150% of the poverty guideline for family size.)

Forbearance Request Due to Student Loan Debt Burden (The monthly payments you owe on your Title IV loans from all lenders is 20% or more of your monthly taxable income.)

General Forbearance Request (Your are experiencing temporary financial hardship.)


Occupational Cancellations - Some cancellations require an additional form. See list of jobs below.

  • Bureau of Indian Affairs/Tribal Faculty
  • Child and Family Service - click job for additional form
  • Early Intervention
  • Firefighter
  • Law Enforcement/Public Defender
  • Librarians
  • Medical Technician/Allied Health
  • Military
  • Nursing
  • Pathologist
  • Peace Corps
  • Speech Language
  • Teaching in a Low-Income School - Title 1 School
  • Teaching in a Head Start program - click job for additional form
  • Teaching in Special Education - click job for additional form
  • Teaching Math/Science/Foreign Language/Bilingual or other shortage fields as designated by state


Deferments for Other Types of Loans

Deferment Form (For student, advanced professional training, Peace Corps, Uniformed Service/Military, internship, or fellowship deferment.) Not all benefits are available in all loan programs.

Financial Arrangement Form (To request unemployment or economic hardship deferments, forbearance, or an alternate payment arrangement due to financial circumstances.)


Health Profession Loans


Nurse Faculty Loans

Request for Postponement for Teaching as Nurse Faculty (Complete at the beginning of the academic year.)

Request for Cancellation for Teaching as Nurse Faculty (Complete at the end of the academic year.)

Request for Deferment