Notes and Attachments
The Notes and Attachments tab on a KFS document serves as the official repository of all communication and documentation related to that document. Rather than emailing to discuss a document, KFS users should contain all communication concerning the document within the Notes and Attachments tab to create an audit trail. This page will demonstrate how to properly use the tab. For instructions on using the Ad Hoc Recipients tab, click here.
Using the Notes and Attachments tab
A large majority of Critical Data violations occur in this tab. As a rule, Critical Data NEVER belongs in this tab. Any field in KFS that asks for critical data will be encrypted and coded to protect this sensitive information. The Notes and Attachments fields have no such protections, so any information entered in these fields is visible to ANY KFS user and at risk of being compromised. Learn more about how you can handle critical data safely in KFS.
Unless required, the Notes and Attachments tab is collapsed by default. Clicking on it will expand the tab and open any editable fields.
- Click on the tab to open it. Note that any fields marked with an asterisk are required for that tab.
- In the Note Text field, add explanatory notes describing the action desired of the recipient.
- KFS users should always address their intended recipient in the Note Text field and include their own username for reference.
- If needed, click “Choose File” and navigate to any supporting documentation on your computer. This will embed the file of your choosing in the KFS eDoc.
- Click “Add.” This will save your progress to the eDoc.
The person you address your note to will not get a notification about any information added to the Notes & Attachments tab. To add a notification to your recipient’s Action List, use the Ad Hoc Recipients tab.