General Ledger Balance Inquiry Overview
Description: Seven lookups that retrieve budgets, pending entries, actual amounts posted, and other transactional data posted to the General Ledger.
Access: Any KFS user can initiate a General Ledger Balance inquiry.
KFS Module: Financial Processing.
- Available Balances: Displays the cumulative balances for an account by object code. Represents an account's current budget. Used to quickly check the status of an account.
- Balances by Consolidation: Displays account balances at the summarized object consolidation level. Can drill down to look at summarized object levels and summarized object codes. Used to check the balances of object consolidations.
- Cash Balances: Displays the beginning, year-to-date, and available cash balances for an account. Used to check the cash balance of an account.
- General Ledger Balance: Displays a month-by-month breakdown of activity for an account by object code. Used to review account activity trends by month.
- General Ledger Entry: Displays the individual transactions that make up the balance in an account. Used to review transactions by fiscal period.
- General Ledger Pending Entry: Displays pending transactions from documents that have been approved or submitted for approval, but have not yet posted to the General Ledger. Used to review pending transactions by fiscal period.
- Open Encumbrances: Displays the detail for an account's open encumbrances, listed by type. Used to review open encumbrances on an account.
- Account Line Annual Balance Amount: The total of activity in an account for the specified balance type across all periods of the selected fiscal year.
- Actual Amount: The total of all actual activity for a given balance line of the selected fiscal year. Only transactions that have posted to the General Ledger are included in the Actuals calculation.
- Available Cash Balance: The total beginning balance and the year-to-date balance.
- Beginning Balance Line Amount: The amount in an account for a specified balance type and object code at the beginning of the selected fiscal year.
- Budget Amount: The current budget amount in an account for the selected fiscal year.
- Closed Amount: The amount of encumbrance that has been relieved to date. Note: subtracting the Closed Amount from the Open Amount gives the amount of the encumbrance that is still outstanding.
- Contract Grants Beginning Balance Amount: The cumulative amount in an account for a specified balance type and object code that was carried forward from the previous fiscal year.
- Encumbrances Amount: The total of all encumbrance activity for a given account for the selected fiscal year.
- Ledger Entry Amount: The dollar amount associated with a specific ledger entry.
- Open Amount: The amount of the original encumbrance. Note: subtracting the Closed Amount from the Open Amount gives the amount of the encumbrance that is still outstanding.
- Variance: The funds remaining for the rest of the fiscal year. Income variance is the amount a unit expects to earn; expense variance is the amount a unit has left to spend.The difference between a category or object code's available budget and the actual amounts, plus encumbrances.
The following table lists the data included in each inquiry.
Balances by Consolidation
General Ledger Balance
|General Ledger Entry||General Ledger Pending Entry||Open Encumbrances|
|Account Line Annual Balance Amount||X||X|
|Available Cash Balance||X|
|Beginning Balance Line Amount||X||X|
|Contracts Grants Beginning Balance Amount||X||X|
|Ledger Entry Amount||X||X|
The data in some General Ledger Inquiries link to other General Ledger Inquiries. In other words, it is possible to access a Lookup from within another Lookup.
The following table lists the data and lookups that can be accessed by each inquiry.
Balances by Consolidation
Balances by Level
Balances by Object
General Ledger Balance Lookup
|General Ledger Entry Lookup||General Ledger Pending Entry Lookup||KFS Document|
|Balances by Consolidation||X||X||X||X||X||X||X|
||Lists cash balances only - no drill down.|
|General Ledger Balance
|General Ledger Entry
|General Ledger Pending Entry
||Lists open encumbrances only - no drill down.|
The following flowchart illustrates the relationship between inquiries. Click the image to enlarge.