Description: KFS report that displays the beginning, year-to-date, and available cash balances for an account. Used to check the cash balance of an account.
Access: Any KFS user can initiate an Cash Balances Lookup.
KFS Module: Financial Processing.
Click a screenshot below to view the full-sized image in a new tab.
The Cash Balances Lookup provides a bottom line snapshot of an account. This report was designed for accounts that produce income/revenue through sales and services, and cash accounts and will be most pertinent to fiscal officers of auxiliary, service, or non-budgeted accounts.
Some query fields will be populated by default. On the Cash Balances query, the current fiscal year will display in the Fiscal Year field. Delete or change this input as desired.
Fiscal Year, Chart Code, and Account Number are the only required fields on this query. Limit search results by providing additional search parameters. Use the magnifying glass beside each field to search for a value if you do not know what to enter. Wildcard characters are compatible with all fields in this query except for Fiscal Year and Chart Code.
Balance inquiries allow a user to choose to view balances as consolidated or detailed. In this case, 'consolidation' refers to sub-accounts, not object codes.
- Consolidation: Display the aggregate total for all sub-accounts for the selected chart and account number. Default option.
- Detail: Display the balances for each sub-account for the selected chart and account number, in addition to the balances for the top-level account that are not associated with a sub-account.
- Exclude Sub-Accounts: Display only the balances for the top-level account for the selected chart and account number, omitting any activity associated with sub-accounts.
Include Pending Ledger Entry
Balance inquiries allow a user to choose to include or exclude pending ledger entries. Pending ledger entries are transactions from documents that have been approved or submitted for approval, but have not yet posted to the General Ledger.
- No: Only return data from documents that reached Final status the previous day; data in this report is one day old. Default option.
- Approved: Include data from documents that reached Final status sometime today. These transactions have been approved and will post to the General Ledger overnight.
- All: Include data from all documents associated with this account, regardless of their status: Saved, Cancelled, En Route status, or Final. Selecting this option can generate misleading results. Saved documents may contain incomplete or unbalanced accounting entries. Additionally, submitted documents may not reach Final status. Use this option with the understanding that saved and unapproved transactions may change drastically prior to posting to the General Ledger, or may never post at all.
- Account Line Annual Balance Amount: The total of activity in an account for the specified balance type across all periods of the selected fiscal year.
- Available Cash Balance: The total beginning balance and the year-to-date balance.
- Beginning Balance Line Amount: The amount in an account for a specified balance type and object code at the beginning of the selected fiscal year.
- Contract Grants Beginning Balance Amount: The cumulative amount in an account for a specified balance type and object code that was carried forward from the previous fiscal year.
By selecting Detail from the Consolidation Option choices, we see a breakdown by sub-account. In the screenshot below, for example, we see that the Available Cash Balance of $491,574.52 in this account is spread across seven sub-accounts, as well as the top-level account.
By selecting Exclude Sub-Accounts from the Consolidation Options choices, we see only activity from the top-level account. In the screenshot below, for example, we only see the Available Cash Balance of $266,980.88 held in the top-level account. The additional cash balance of $224,593.64, distributed across the seven sub-accounts, does not display in the query results.