KFS and BUY.IU documents require review by a Fiscal Officer before the document can reach final status (approval). To help distribute this workload, departments can designate Account Delegates who can be assigned via three different KFS documents and have the ability to take action on documents on behalf of the FO. This page will outline how to assign an Account Delegate and explain the difference between the Account Delegate, Account Delegate Global, and Account Delegate Model documents.
Account Delegate document
Account Delegate Global document
Account Delegate Model
The Delegate Role
- Delegation is specific to an account and document type
- Ex: A delegate is assigned to review all incoming TFs for account 2312610.
- Can be limited to only review documents transacting a specified dollar amount if desired
- Ex: A delegate is assigned to review all TF transactions over $2000.
- Can take any action that is available to a Fiscal Officer for their respective accounts
- Ex: On a document transacting business over several accounts, a delegate can only edit fields (e.g. Object Code) on accounting lines affecting accounts for which they are responsible
- Departments can designate multiple Delegates
- Can be a Primary or Secondary Delegate
- A Primary Delegate should be used when an FO consistently wants another user to approve documents on his or her behalf as a normal business process
- A Secondary Delegate should be used when the FO and/or the Primary Delegate is unavailable
- Accounts can have only one Primary Delegate per Doc Type but as many Secondary Delegates as desired
|Primary Delegate||Secondary Delegate|
|Documents route directly to Primary Delegate (i.e. they show up in their action list)||Documents do not appear in action list; instead documents route to FO or Primary Delegate|
|Documents do not appear in FO’s action list; FO must apply a special filter to view these||Must apply a special filter to their action list allowing them to view and act on the documents routed to the Primary Delegate and FO|
The Account Delegate (ADEL) document is used to add a new Delegate (or remove an existing Delegate) without overwriting existing delegates. If you need to both add and delete Delegates, two separate ADEL documents would need to be submitted to accomplish this (i.e. you cannot add and delete Delegates on the same document). Alternatively, the Account Delegate Global document can process both tasks on one document. Opening the Account Delegate document will prompt you to first search for existing delegation via the Account Delegate Lookup form.
To Look Up Existing Delegation
- Open the “Account Delegate” document in the Chart of Accounts module.
- Enter an Account Number. Note that a Chart Code is not required. Account Numbers are unique to Charts.
- If desired, enter a Doc Type in the Document Type Name field.
- Click “View Account Delegate” to view the current delegates for this account.
- If no results return, you can create a new delegate (below).
Creating a New Delegate
- Click “Create New” in the top right corner of the Account Delegate document (in the Chart of Accounts module).
- In the example below, any TFs (Transfer of Funds) over $2000 will route to the new Primary Delegate, schavez2.
- Enter a description of the action you’re taking.
- Fill in all required fields. Required fields are marked with an asterisk.
- To set a Primary delegate, check the “Account Delegate Primary Route” box. Leave this box unchecked to designate a Secondary delegate. See above for distinctions between Primary and Secondary delegates.
- To specify an amount threshold (if desired), enter it in the “Approval From This Amount” and/or “Approval To This Amount” field(s). Note: If you’re unsure of the “Doc Type Name,” you can look it up via the Doc Search by Type module. When all required fields are complete, click “Submit. “
- Document will route to Fiscal Officer of account for approval.
The “Account Delegate Global” (GDLG) document is used to overwrite existing delegation for an account or group of accounts. There are a few different situations that are best handled on the GDLG document:
- The Global Delegate document inactivates all existing delegation for an account and replaces it with what is on the new document. If there is an existing delegation structure in place it can be quicker to use a GDLG doc to inactivate the old and put in the new in one step.
- When the delegation for a given account is complex, it is easier to enter multiple rows on the Edit Global Delegate tab than to process multiple Account Delegate documents.
- To establish consistent delegation for multiple accounts, such as all accounts in a given Org.
To Replace Existing Delegation with New Delegation
1. Open the “Account Delegate Global” document in the Chart of Accounts module.
3. Fill in all required fields. Required fields are marked with an asterisk.
- In the example below, the “Account Delegate Primary Route” box is unchecked. The new delegate, stgmill, is being added as a secondary delegate. Stephen will be able to apply a filter to his Action List to view and act on TF documents between $2000-$10,000, as specified. The Global document will remove all existing delegation and replace it with what is entered on this document. I.e., schavez2 from the previous example will be removed and stgmill will be added
4. Click “add” to save the entry to your doc. To add another Delegate, repeat step three and click “add” until all new delegations are listed.
- In the example below, user “stgmill” (Stephen Miller) will be added as secondary delegate to two accounts: 1912610, and 2312610. This will erase and overwrite any existing delegation on those two accounts.
5. Once all desired changes are entered, click submit.
6. The document will route to the Fiscal Officer of all accounts in that Organization.
The “Account Delegate Model” document allows you to create a pre-defined template for the “Account Global” document. Creating a “Model” can help save time by auto-filling certain fields on an Account Delegate Global document. After the Model is created, you may access it by searching for its name in the “Account Delegate Global from Model” form.
Large Responsibility Centers (RCs) use the GDLM document most frequently. The School of Medicine, for example, has multiple departments each with their own delegation. Because these departments (e.g. cardiology, pulmonary, rheumatology) each receive new grants regularly, they can use the GDLM to apply the pre-filled model when a new grant account is created. This helps to reduce the time spent setting up delegation with each new grant.
Submitting the “Account Delegate Model” form does not replace existing delegation, but prepares a prefilled template of a “Global” document. To affect existing delegation, the “Account Delegate Global from Model” document must be submitted.
Creating a Template from the Account Delegate Model Document
- Open the “Account Delegate Model” document in the Chart of Accounts module.
- Click “Create New” in the top right corner.
- Fill in all required fields. Required fields are marked with an asterisk.
- The “Account Delegate Model Name” is used to locate your Model after it’s approved. While there is no prescribed naming convention, you should name the model something that is meaningful and informative to you and your department so that users can understand its purpose at a glance.
- Click “Add” after each addition to save it to your document. This will add a new line so you can continue adding delegates.
- In the example below, julcrobe will be added to the Model as the Primary Delegate to review all TFs over $1250. stgmill will be added to the model as the Secondary Delegate for all IBs over $1000.
Using the Account Delegate from Model (GDLG) document
Access approved Models by opening the “Account Delegate from Model” document in the Chart of Accounts module. Use the “Account Delegate Model Name” to search for the Model to submit delegation changes.
- Open the “Account Delegate from Model” document in the Chart of Accounts module.
- You will be prompted to search for the existing Model. Enter the name of the model you’d like to use (as shown below) in the Account Delegate Model Name field. You can use wildcards if you’re unsure. You can also specify your Chart Code or Organization Code to help narrow results.
- Click “Return Value” to open the Model. This opens an “Account Delegate Global” document with Account Delegate information autofilled from the Model.
- Delete, add, or edit any delegation as desired.
- Click submit. Since it is an Account Delegate Global document, it will route to the Fiscal Officer of all accounts in that Organization.