FMS Documentation Library
NSAR - html is hidden
Jump to: KFS Overview | IU Accounting Structure | Administrative Documents | Budgeting | Capital Asset Management | Financial Processing | General Ledger Balance Inquiries | Purchasing and Procurement |
- What is KFS? Overview of the Kuali Financial System, including module summaries and definitions.
- KFS Document Layout: Anatomy a KFS document and explanation of standard KFS tabs.
- Document Routing: Explanation of Route Logs, Ad Hoc routing, the Action List, and route status definitions.
- Basic Doc Search: Instructions for how to use the Basic Doc Search function in KFS.
- Notes and Attachments: Instructions for how to use the Notes and Attachments tab in KFS.
- Ad Hoc Recipients: Instructions for how to add Ad Hoc Recipients in KFS. - Coming soon!
- Wildcard Characters: List of single-character placeholders that can refine search results in KFS Lookups.
- Document Type Hierarchy: Documents are organized and grouped into a hierarchy that can affect how they route.
- Chart Codes: Discussion of IU's twelve charts and how they interrelate.
- Accounts and Object Codes: Definitions of accounts and object codes, two tools IU uses to organize and catalog financial data.
- Account Fund Groups (pdf): Complete list of the fund and sub-fund groups used at IU.
- Accounting Terminology: Definitions of common vocabulary related to accounting, budgeting, and fund management at IU.
- Account Delegates: Add or update delegation for an account or group of accounts.
- System User Role: Add a new user to KFS, change the org affiliation of a current KFS user, or remove a user’s KFS access.
- Budget Adjustment: A financial planning tool that allows an organization to adjust the current and/or base budget amounts for a given account as circumstances change throughout the fiscal year, or to create a budget for a new account established after the beginning of the fiscal year.
- Budget Construction Reference Guide: The step-by-step process of constructing an organization's budget in KFS.
- Budget Construction Import Guide: Import account budgets from a spreadsheet to KFS.
- All Funds Budgeting: Resources about budget construction, including a description of All Funds Budgeting, IU's current budget calendar, and Frequently Asked Questions.
- Asset Fabrication
- Asset Location Global
- Asset Management
- Asset Lookup: The Asset Lookup form, labeled "Asset" in the CAMS module, allows users to search for and identify existing assets.
- Asset Retirement Global
- Asset Transfer
- Barcode Inventory Process
- Equipment Loan
- Using Capital Object Codes on Financial Documents: When a capital object code is used on a financial processing document, the document initiator must provide information about the asset on the financial processing document.
- Cash Receipt:
- Distribution of Income and Expense: Reallocate income, expense, assets, and liabilities within IU. Applies to transactions that have posted to the General Ledger as part of the normal business process.
- General Accounting Adjustment: Adjust a general accounting entry's object codes, or correct inappropriate or incorrect account numbers and object codes, on transactions that have posted to the General Ledger.
- Internal Billing:
- Journal Voucher: Perform accounting tasks that cannot be done by any of the other financial transaction documents and correct errors that inadvertently unbalance the General Ledger.
- Transfer of Funds: Record the movement of funds (i.e., cash) between IU accounts.
- General Ledger Balance Inquiry Overview: Seven KFS reports that retrieve budgets, pending entries, actual amounts posted, and other transactional data posted to the General Ledger.
- Available Balances: KFS report that displays the cumulative balances for an account by object code. Represents an account's current budget. Used to quickly check the status of an account.
- Balances by Consolidation: KFS report that displays account balances at the summarized consolidation level. Can drill down to look at summarized object levels and summarized object codes. Used to check the balances of object consolidations.
- Cash Balances: KFS report that displays the beginning, year-to-date, and available cash balances for an account. Used to check the cash balance of an account.
- General Ledger Balance: KFS report that displays a month-by-month breakdown of activity for an account by object code. Used to review account activity trends by month.
- General Ledger Entry: KFS report that displays the individual transactions that make up the balance in an account. Used to review transactions by fiscal period.
- General Ledger Pending Entry: KFS report that displays pending transactions from documents that have been approved or submitted for approval, but have not yet posted to the General Ledger. Used to review pending transactions by fiscal period.
- Open Encumbrances: KFS report that displays the detail for an account's open encumbrances, listed by type. Used to review open encumbrances on an account.
**UPDATED JULY 22, 2019** Trying to purchase something? All purchasing formerly transacted on the Purchasing/Accounts Payable module in KFS is now handled in BUY.IU. Follow the link to learn about the new system. The following documentation, pertaining to the Purchasing and Accounts Receivable (PURAP) module in KFS, is hosted by IU Procurement Services.
**UPDATED JULY 22, 2019** "Vendors" are now "Suppliers" in BUY.IU. Departments are no longer responsible for gathering information and establishing Suppliers (aka Vendors) in the system. Instead, all you need is a name and an email address and Purchasing will onboard as necessary. Click here to learn more about BUY.IU.
KualiCo provides high-level reference documentation that is specific to the most recent release of out-of-the-box version of KFS. Indiana University has a unique configuration of KFS that is not reflected in KualiCo's descriptions of the software or the business rules associated with each document.
The documents that follow are intended for KFS "power users" who want to dig into the system to a greater degree than the above documentation allows. While reviewing the KualiCo documentation, keep in mind that it may not accurately represent IU's implementation of KFS.
- Overview and Introduction to the User Interface: An overview of the KFS, including its components, the common characteristics of the screens, and instructions for performing common operations.
- Guide to the Chart of Accounts Module: Information about and instructions for viewing records in the Chart of Accounts (COA) tables and using maintenance documents to maintain these tables.
- Guide to the Purchasing and Accounts Payable Module: Instructions for using the Purchasing and Accounts Payable (PURAP) module functions.
- Guide to the Vendor Module: Information about and instructions for creating, updating, and looking up vendor records.
- Glossary: A compilation of the business terminology relevant to KFS that is not explained in detail in the other guides.